Promote, Protect & Expand the Business of Motorcycle Training

All you need to know about CBT

All you need to know about CBT

What documents do I need?
You need to have a valid provisional driving licence for the vehicle you want to ride. The licence consists of a Photo ID card – this will need to be presented to your instructor for CBT and Training.

Is there a minimum age for CBT?
You need to be 16 years old to ride a moped of no more than 50cc, at 17 years old you can ride a 125cc motorcycle (providing it produces no more than 11Kw or 14.7bhp)

What does CBT involve?
CBT has 5 elements
1) introduction and eyesight test
2) practical onsite training,
3) practical onsite riding
4) practical on road training
5) practical on road riding. You’ll move from one element to the next when your trainer is happy that you’ve A) learnt the theory B) shown the practical skills to a safe basic level.

How long does it take?
CBT is designed to be completed in a day, typically 8.30-4.30pm, however, it may take longer.  Your instructor will want to see that you understand the bike controls and can deal with traffic on the road sensibly and safely. Should they feel that this isn’t achievable in a day they will advise you to return for more training.

The on-site training will be around 3 hours duration, followed by a minimum 2 hour road ride element to give you some idea. If your chosen training company offers you less than this BEWARE! It’s a legal requirement, your training school is cutting corners that affect your safety!

How many people will train with me?
There are a maximum number of 4 learners to 1 instructor for the on-site training elements and 2 learners per instructor for the on-road training element.

What about safety equipment?
In general, Training companies will loan/hire helmets, jackets, gloves, but you will be expected to wear warm layers, jeans and sturdy footwear. If, you have any of your own safety/motorcycle gear then do take it a long for your training course, it will be a better fit for you.

Do I need to read the Highway Code before CBT?
When you apply for your provisional licence to DVLA you have agreed that you have read and understood the Highway Code. So, in short, you should have done this already, if you haven’t please do before your CBT course. It will greatly increase your chances of receiving a CBT certificate. Instructors will ask you questions throughout your CBT, so be prepared.
Will I be issued with a certificate and how long is it valid for?
Yes, a CBT certificate will be issued to you should you pass all the requirements of the CBT. It is valid for two years.

How old do I have to be and what can I ride?
At 16yrs you will be able to ride a maximum 49cc (28mph) moped. At 17yrs+ a maximum of 125cc. ‘L’ plate must be displayed front and back, you can’t take passengers or go on the motorways. If, you do NOT pass a full motorcycle licence during this time you MUST renew your CBT.

I took my CBT at 16yrs, I am now 17yrs can I ride a bigger bike?
Yes, you can ride a maximum of a 125cc as long as your CBT certificate is still valid. You will need to display ‘L’ plates, can’t take pillions and can’t go on motorways.

I took CBT on an automatic moped/scooter can I ride a geared motorcycle?
If you took CBT on an automatic bike then you may ride a geared bike as long as the CBT certificate is valid. But you should consider taking some more training with your training provider especially if you have never ridden a geared motorcycle before.  Call your trainer and ask for a geared upgrade.

I have a full car licence, do I need to take a CBT course?
If you passed your car test before the 1st February 2001 you can ride a 50cc moped without taking a CBT. However we will always advise to receive some form of training before venturing out on 2 wheels.  There is no requirement to ride with ‘L’ plates. Carrying passengers/pillions is also allowed but you will not be able to ride on motorways.

If you passed your car test after 1st February 2001 you will be legally required to take a CBT, your CBT certificate will then give you a full moped licence entitlement to ride a 50cc moped on your car licence. You will also be able to ride without ‘L’ plates and carry passengers/pillions but you will not be allowed to ride on motorways.

How much will CBT cost?
Each training company can set their own prices and it may depend on whether you hire bikes, or provide your own. If, it sounds cheap compared to other quotes you have received in your area, check what quality of training you are going to receive.

I have lost my CBT certificate and the insurance company require it to renew my policy, or I have been given a producer by the police, can I get a duplicate?
Yes, you can get a duplicate copy of your CBT certificate from your original training company, as long as it is still within the valid time. The Authorised Training Body (ATB) is entitled to charge a maximum of £20.00 to do this. Be helpful, try and give the ATB some idea of when you took the CBT. Training schools conduct many CBT courses over a 2 year period and therefore it could take time to find your information.

Once I hold the CBT certificate do I need to do anything else?
Your CBT is just the beginnings to riding your bike and there is no substitute for more training to make you safer. Your ATB should encourage you to do more training and aim to pass your full bike test. So do ask your instructor after your CBT for their advice about further training and testing.

Your CBT certificate is valid for two years and this gives plenty of time to complete a full course to get you to test standard, however, if you don’t pass your test you will need to renew your CBT to continue riding on ‘L’ Plates.